At least two people have been killed in Sudan and 10 others were injured when security forces opened fire on protesters. Thousands of demonstrators in Khartoum have been staging a sit-in outside the military headquarters demanding a transfer of power to a civilian government.
‘Attack on media freedom’
Tens of thousands of protesters had converged on the encampment, heeding a call by protest leaders to step up pressure on Sudan’s military rulers following a two-day strike last week.
Protesters have accused the RSF of trying to undermine a transition to democracy, a charge the force denies.
The Freedom and Change alliance, the group that is leading the protest movement, has been negotiating with the TMC regarding a political transition, but talks have stalled.
Other attempts to quell the demonstrations have included the closure of media outlets who have been reporting the ongoing developments.
On Saturday, Sudan’s foreign ministry summoned the country’s envoy to Qatar, Sudan’s state-run news agency said. It came a day after Doha-based news channel Al Jazeera Media Network said Sudanese authorities had shut down its Khartoum bureau.
The report by Sudan News Agency (SUNA) quoted Babaker al-Amin, a spokesman for the ministry, as saying that Sudan’s ambassador to Qatar Fathel-Rahamn Mohammed was summoned for consultations and “will be sent back to Doha within the coming hours”.
Qatar-funded Al Jazeera on Friday said Sudanese authorities banned its journalists from reporting in the country.
The decision also included the withdrawal of the work permits for the correspondents and staff of the network with immediate effect.
Al Jazeera decried the move as “an attack on media freedom, professional journalism, and the basic tenets of the right for people to know and understand the reality of what is happening in Sudan”.
Credit: Al jazeera